Is Survey Junkie really a legitimate way to make money online?
I have to admit, I was skeptical at first. The name “Survey Junkie” does not bode much confidence in the quality of the this survey site.
Still, having heard good things about Survey Junkie, I decided to dive in and give it a try. I will cover all the details on Survey Junkie, including the their excellent sign-up process and how you can make money taking surveys in my Survey Junkie review.
But before we dive in, I want to talk about their integrity. What really impressed me was an answer posted in their Popular FAQs section that answered the question “How much can you earn from Survey Junkie?“.
Basically they state while you will not get rich taking surveys, you can earn extra money each month.
Their honesty was a refreshing change from many of the “so called paid survey sites” that promise you a lot of money for taking surveys.
Chances are though, if you a reading this review, you really have one main question. Can you really make money with Survey Junkie? Spoiler alert, they are legit, and yes I did make money. I will cover that and more below.
Want to learn more? Read my full Survey Junkie Review below.
Survey Junkie Background
Survey Junkie is a market research panel that is part of Blue Media Ventures, and it has been in business since 2011. It’s worth noting that Blue Media has accreditation from the Better Business Bureau, and has a good track record for resolving customer complaints.
Like other reputable survey companies, Survey Junkie is free to join. They are able to pay you for your opinions by working with businesses that want feedback on existing or future products and services they may offer.
Who is eligible to join? Survey Junkie is open to individuals 13 or older that are residents of the United States, Canada or Australia.
How do you sign up for Survey Junkie?
- First go to the Survey Junkie site and select JOIN NOW.
- Then enter your email address or sign up with social media (Facebook or Google+).
- From there you enter your name and password, and upon completion you are entered into the Survey Junkie portal.
- You will begin with a quick start checklist that can earn your first 80 points by confirming your email, reviewing a “How it Works Tutorial”, and completing your member general profile.
- You will also receive 25 points as a sign-up bonus.
Within a matter of about 10 minutes I had joined, filled out my profiles, and earned my first 105 points.
How Do I Take Surveys and Earn Money?
First tip you will see on their site is to take the profile surveys to get higher paying surveys. These are additional profile surveys that will give them more information about you and your interest in areas like Technology, Shopping, Health, Household, General Interest, and Travel. These profile surveys will assist Survey Junkie in connecting you to relevant Market Research surveys that match your demographics. Completing these short profiles will make you eligible for more surveys with higher rewards, and they will give you an additional 60 points.
You will receive paid survey invitations via email or you can login to their site to see a list of surveys to take. Survey invitations will be clearly marked with the number of points the survey is worth and estimated time to complete.
When you initially take the survey, their will be a few qualifier questions. Do not be discouraged, you will not qualify for all the surveys. The good news is that they will still give you a few points even if you do not qualify and you can try another survey.
There are normally many surveys available if you login to the portal. So even if you click on a link in your email and the survey is filled, you will find that another survey is available to take.
Most surveys can be completed in 20 minutes or less, but some higher paying surveys can take a bit longer. You will earn points for each survey completed, and point values vary on survey topic and length of time.
How do I get paid?
- Point values for surveys you complete can range from 5 points to more than 250.
- Each time you complete a survey, points are deposited into your account.
- 100 points = $1.
- You can see your current balance by logging into the Survey Junkie site.
- You will see the “Redeem Now” option once you have 1,000 points.
- 1,000 points = $10, and can be redeemed in the form of cash via PayPal or transferred to your bank account. You can also opt to receive via Amazon Gift Card and other popular gift card options like Target or Starbucks.
Survey Junkie Tips To Maximize Earnings
While Survey Junkie does send you survey invitations via Email, I find it best to just login to their site so you can see all the available surveys. By selecting the surveys option in their member’s area you can see all the available surveys you can take. Here is an example of four survey invites in the portal:
Looking at these four options, it may seem like the one for 295 points is the best option. However, if you factor in the time, you will see that the 5 minute survey that offers 170 points is the best option. If you do the math (or use our calculator below), you will see the 170 point survey yields a pay rate of $20.40 per hour. However, the 295 point survey yields $8.85 an hour. Both excellent options, but if you are in a time crunch and can only do one, I would go for the 5 minute survey.
Similarly, if you compare the two bottom survey invites you will see that while both surveys have a 15 minute time commitment. One offers 50 points while the other pays 150 points.
Even though surveys are just something I recommend you do when you have spare time, you still want to maximize your earnings potential for the time you spend. My recommendation is to only take the surveys that net a pay rate of $3 an hour or more. With Survey Junkie’s large amount of surveys you will find that it’s not hard to meet that criteria. You just need to be smart in the surveys you choose to take. Again you can use our Survey Junkie Points calculator above to help you decide which surveys to take.
Survey Junkie Points-to-Dollars Calculator
Pros and Cons for Survey Junkie
- They have lots of surveys available on their site and send email invitations for surveys frequently.
- Sign up process is very intuitive, and they actually reward you while educating you on the process to join.
- You get points for surveys even if you get screened out.
- Flexible options to redeem via PayPal or electronic gift cards.
- Payment processing usually happens within 1 hour. I received my payment via PayPal within minutes of redeeming.
Could Be Better
- Point values per time spent vary a lot. There are plenty of options for good value surveys, you just need to choose wisely and look at ratio of time spent for points awarded. Be sure to us our Survey Junkie points calculator.
- They do not have a $5 / 500 points redeem option. You have to reach 1000 points at a minimum before you can redeem.
Final Verdict – Is Survey Junkie Worth the Time?
If taking surveys for money is something that interest you, Survey Junkie is a good survey site to join. They have an excellent sign up process that educates you on their site. Plus, they actually rewards you with points for completing the signup process.
The only thing to look out for is that the points offered per time spent on the surveys they offer vary quite a bit. As a result, you need to choose wisely when selecting the surveys you take. The good news though is that there are enough good surveys to choose from to easily reach a cash payout.
Here is an example of a cash payment I received via PayPal from Survey Junkie. I was able to earn $10.63 for points earned from a combination of 5 completed surveys and several survey attempts where I was screened out. Again taking surveys will not make you rich. However, if you are looking for a way to earn extra cash to pay for entertainment services like that Netflix or Disney+, then taking surveys with Survey Junkie can be a good side hustle.
If you want to dabble with online surveys and voice your opinions on the latest products and services, you should join Survey Junkie.
OUR VERDICT: It’s SAVVY